Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Honey, Garlic & Sage Pork Sirloin Roast

It's getting to be that time of year where I absolutely refuse to turn my oven on, lest I will just burst into flames and leave a large me-shaped crater in the kitchen floor (and for those who know us, you know our poor kitchen floor has already endured enough this year). So last night I swallowed my fear of being blow up by our garbage-picked gas grill, and cooked us up some good eats on our breezy back porch.

I absolutely loved, loved, LOVED the wet rub that went on this pork roast.


A lovely combo of lemon, garlic and sage. However, I should note that this recipe called for the roast to go in the oven, not on the grill, so unfortunately I had nothing left of the delish rub when all was said and done. The next time I make it on the grill, I may actually make a second batch of the wet rub and let it simmer in a pot on the grill while the roast cooks, just to have some of the yumminess at the end.

Half way through cooking the roast, you bring in the honey, which really balances out the acid of the wet rub, and gives the roast a beautiful color.

Of course, this isn't all about looks. It's got to taste the business, too. My honest opinion? I need serious Bobby Flay lessons on how NOT to destroy pork. I should have pulled it at 145 degrees and let it creep up to temp as it rested, but I let it go a little too long and several of the pieces tastes like a deliciously seasoned shoe. But, had it come off the grill as it hit prime loveliness, it would have been perfect. I served it with a couple grilled potatoes and huge salad (with mounds of blue cheese...just cuz).

(And, just a side note - I urge anyone who is a meat-a-saurus like me to seek out a local sustainable farm in your area that offers organic beef, chicken and pork. It's better for the environment, better for your local economy, and most of all, better for you!! If you're in Michigan, I highly recommend Creswick Farms - they deliver almost everywhere. You can also check Local Harvest for a list of farms in your area.)

Here's the recipe:

1 Pork Sirloin Roast, 2 to 3 lb.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
or 2 teaspoons sage, dried and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
2 tablespoons honey


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line shallow roasting pan with foil. Place pork in foil-lined pan.
Stir together oil, lemon juice, garlic, sage and pepper in small bowl; brush over top and sides of pork roast. Roast pork 30 to 45 minutes; brush honey over top and sides of pork. Roast 20 to 30 minutes more or until done (internal temp 155°F).

No comments:

Post a Comment