Monday, May 24, 2010

Yeast Waffles

Wow...it's been ages since I've blogged! Don't let that fool you into thinking I haven't been cooking or baking. My ever growing cankles and love handles would argue otherwise. No need to bore you with the details of where I've been (in the kitchen) or what I've been doing (eating). Let's just dive right in, shall we?


There have been many a weekend morning where my family and I have enjoyed waffles, but this past weekend I tried yeast waffles for the very first time. First, I must say a word about waffle makers. No matter what kind of waffle recipe you have, having a GOOD waffle maker makes all the difference in the world. That being said, I do not have a good waffle maker. I have a bottom of the line, crap-tastic, "barely a waffle and more like a squishy blob" waffle maker that hubby and I registered for seven years ago for our wedding. No matter what I did, no matter what recipe I tried, I could not get crispy waffles. Ever. Until now! I have found a new way to waffle, people, and it's all about the yeast! It's also about NOT having to beat the heck out of egg whites or honing your "folding" skills. This recipe couldn't be any easier. The only slight trick is remembering to prep it the night before. Then the batter sits out at room temperature overnight, and in the morning you add the eggs, baking soda. Here is the recipe I followed:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 3 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

  1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast mixture, butter, salt, sugar and flour. Mix thoroughly with rotary or electric mixer until batter is smooth. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
  3. The next morning, stir beaten eggs and baking soda into the batter; beat well.
  4. Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.
These are definitely a new staple in our household. They were delicious - crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. And they are not sweet waffles on their own. I suppose you could add more sugar if you wanted them sweeter, but the bonus is that these waffles could be used for savory dishes as well.

Now, if I could just convince hubby that we need to spend $100 on a new waffle maker...

No comments:

Post a Comment